Wednesday, March 21, 2012

French Bread

When I was about 10 my aunt and uncle had my cousin Ruth and I come to their house for a week to learn how to sew and bake bread. This was one of the recipes we made while we were there.

I made it whole wheat because I rarely use white flour and often don't have more than a little in the house. I made the mistake of tasting it when it came out of the oven and by the time the girls and Great-grandma Gibbons had some half of the loaf was gone. I'm glad I doubled the batch. I could eat a whole loaf myself, it is that good!

Makes 1 loaf.

2 tsp. yeast
1 1/3 c. warm water
1 T. sugar
Mix these and let sit about 10 minutes.

Add :
1 T. dough conditioner
2 T. oil
1 t. garlic salt (you can't really taste this. You could still eat jam on the bread and it would be good.
3 C. flour ( I'm not sure what happened, but I used double this. I'm not sure if it was because it was fresh ground wheat or what).

Knead together and make into a loaf. Put on cookie sheet and slit top. Sprinkle top with herbs (I didn't do this). Let rise about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes with a pan of water in the oven to make the crust yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment